Summer Edition Admission #6: Dating
debbestintown, you caught me!
As someone who’s tried and decided it wasn’t for me, here’s my two cents on the matter for incoming 1st years, pre-meds, and even med students who are thinking about it.
5 PROS TO DATING A CLASSMATE:
1. Someone who understands EXACTLY what you’re going through.
2. Automatic study buddy
3. Pre-screened for similar personalities: Med school selects for very similar people. So if you prescribe to ‘like attracts like’, well you are in heaven, my friend.
4. Often tend to be long-term commitment…at least in the years or the type with a ring. When these couples work, they are in it for the long run. Those doctor couples don’t exist for nothing. Boys know the clock is ticking and they have to find a girl who’s going to stick by them for the rough years ahead. Same thing for girls. So…we’re all looking for the same thing!
5. Automatic physical exam partner. Take that comment as you will ;)
5 CONS OF MEDCEST:
1. You have a small pool to choose from= chance of finding someone is small. Let’s do a little probability. Most people come into med school married, engaged, in a relationship…in my class it was about 70% in a relationship, 30% not. About 50% of committed folks are going to break things off and become single. Now, weed out:
- socially awkward library or lab rats
- guys/gals who never show up
- guys/gals still getting over an ex or working out personal problems
- People you just don’t jive with
This leaves…that’s right, not that many people.
2. The break-up can be awkward…and gossip will go into overdrive. You are going to be seeing this person for at LEAST two years until rotations, and classmates may get caught in the middle. So handle your breakup like a grown up or don’t do it at all.
3. It can be distracting if you’re the type of person whose life goes into a tailspin because of romance. Medical school is pretty rough on both already.
4. The best part about seeing someone outside of medicine is the reminder that there is more to life than medical school.
5. After awhile, all your classmates will feel like brothers and sisters. And that’s why we call it classcest or medcest. It will feel kinda weird. You’ll know far too much about each of them. It erases a lot of the mystery and glamour involved in attraction.
In short, life is long and full of surprises. Weigh out the options the best you can through the cloud of oxytocin and endorphins. And if things don’t work out? It’s part of life, too. :)
- adrimego likes this
- ramblingreality likes this
- haydenise likes this
- quiet-library likes this
- ecstatically-astounded likes this
- simplycarlia likes this
- generallyperplexed likes this
- aholeintheground likes this
- fatimaissa likes this
- littletakeawaygirl likes this
- amnishamrah88 reblogged this from cranquis
- caerdaelaepaeae likes this
- piangelnk likes this
- strawberrypandaw likes this
- sheepditty likes this
- o-teri-tay likes this
- umbrellainherarms likes this
- helenpham likes this
- latestartpremed likes this
- samuelyoung likes this
- feltyourshape likes this
- alphahelicalhair likes this
- ti18 likes this
- debbestintown said: you went well out of your way to explain everything! md-admissions, you kinda rock.
- debbestintown likes this
- color-me-fit likes this
- confessions-of-a-redhead reblogged this from cranquis
- confessions-of-a-redhead likes this
- delmund0 likes this
- moxacautery likes this
- attentiontodisorder reblogged this from cranquis
- makeyouwoozy reblogged this from md-admissions
- leylasanchez reblogged this from cranquis
- peripheric likes this
- sm00thcriminal reblogged this from md-admissions and added:
- disyrubelle likes this
- fischerslove likes this
- aeriworld likes this
- miss-genevieve reblogged this from md-admissions
- yolosdfiu reblogged this from md-admissions
- sophia-bob likes this
- sosungalittleclodofclay reblogged this from cranquis
- cranquis reblogged this from md-admissions and added:
- sm00thcriminal likes this
- parada-y-con-pletora reblogged this from md-admissions
- jennyyyferrr likes this
- doubletheecho likes this
- happee-holic reblogged this from md-admissions and added: